Under the International Mobility Program, an open work permit enables a person to work for any employer for a specified period of time. An open restricted permit may restrict the occupation or location but not the employer.
Positions exempt from requiring a LMIA are those which:
- Provide broad economic, cultural or other competitive advantages for Canada, and
- Provide reciprocal benefits for Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
Workers who are eligible for the International Mobility Program (IMP) include:
- Those entering Canada as part of trade treaties, such as the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA) or the Comprehensive Economic Trade Agreement (CETA).
- Those entering Canada on an open work permit.
- Those entering Canada as intra-company transferees. International Experience Canada Program