Under the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP), one is able to obtain “permanent residency” in Canada by working in a specific trade. The objective of the FSTP is to meet the demands of the Canadian workforce.
Minimum Requirements to Qualify for FSTP Program
In order to be eligible for the new Federal Skilled Trades Program, an applicant must:
- Have offers of employment from up to two employers in Canada of at least one year duration OR a Certificate of Qualification from a provincial or territorial body
- Provide proof of basic language proficiency from a designated language testing organization, demonstrating that the applicant meets the minimum threshold
- Have obtained twenty-four months of qualified work experience in the skilled trade in the last five years; and
- Be able to demonstrate the skills and experience and that they have performed the essential duties of the occupation.
Eligible Skilled Trade Occupations
There are 43 jobs that are currently considered for this immigration stream, and they fall under one of 4 categories.
There are four categories of occupations for FSTP applicants
- Industrial, electrical and construction trade.
- Maintenance and equipment operation trades
- Supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
- Processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators